My vision for our city
Ki te Kotahi te kaakaho ka, ki te kaapuia e kore e whati – Kingi Tawhiao
When reeds stand alone they are vulnerable but together they are unbreakable
Hamilton – (still) Strong, Resilient and Positive!
My vision prior to COVID-19 was a strong, resilient and vibrant city, where people can thrive.
I wanted Hamilton to be a great place to work and to live where we could ALL enjoy the opportunities a modern city offers, and while times have changed, my vision remains the same.
But we may need to get there in a different way.
COVID-19 has had a huge impact on our city. Many Hamiltonians have lost jobs or businesses and some are struggling to pay bills or access the support they need. There’s a lot of uncertainty because the full effects of Covid on the economy and on the wider wellbeing of our city are not yet fully known.
However, Hamilton – more than most other cities – is well-placed to rebound and rebuild. We’ve already proven our city has the skills and the desire to work together. We have talented people, innovative and industrious businesses, a strong education sector, resilient local communities, an active philanthropic sector and incredible volunteers.
To help rebuild our city I will:
- Work to strengthen local communities, supporting others to do the great work they do
- Drive and support growth and investment opportunities to create employment
- Help create opportunities for affordable homes
- Keep rates and council costs under control
- Ensure effective and sound financial management
- Support key partners to make investments that stimulate our economy
- Continue to involve you in the decisions that shape our city
With your help, we can rebuild Hamilton and create an even stronger, more vibrant city.